Saturday, March 21, 2015

Mole excavations!

 Whilst we've been busy decorating in the house and gites, this year the moles have been extremely busy doing their own bit of landscaping work for us! When looking at what they'd achieved something caught my eye as the sun reflected off whatever it was that had been thrown up to the surface by our excavating friend!
After picking it up and brushing off the dirt, turning it over this is what I found, a very thin coin made of (I think) silver with very clear markings. LUD XV is the marking for King Louis 15th of France who reigned from 1715 to 1774. After research on the internet I think this may well be part of a counterfeit coin or gaming token as on the reverse it looks as though a different metal has eroded away leaving the silver face. Needless to say, I'm now looking through the other mole hills to try and find the other half!!

No comments:

Post a Comment